For so many people summer time means vacations. While much of America travels in the summer, trips are taken year round. With the Summer weeks coming to an end I thought it would be fun to share some of my own tips (which can be used year round) when traveling on a gluten-free diet!
While I don’t have a ton of experience traveling GF these tips are what has worked for me in the past.
1. Pack Extra: When spending a weekend away from home I often think that I am crazy because majority of my luggage is food. However, I have learned that it is better to take extra then to run into a situation where there is nothing to eat.
2. Find a Local Grocery Store: Whether it’s a weekend away, or a trip by plane, I always look up where a local Whole Foods is. I have learned the hard way that GF bread does not travel well in a suitcase. Knowing that there is a local supermarket near by, makes me feel better. I can get Bread for the week as well as my fresh fruit! Plus, it may allow me to try new g-free products that I can’t get at home!
3. Scout Out G-free Friendly Restaurants: I like to let my fingers do the walking on this one. Search the internet, and go on GIG’s restaurant awareness programs page. Also check out travel sites such as Gluten-Free Travel Site.
4. Always have a safe snack: When I am in a new environment, I never know what to expect. I always like to have a safe snack on hand, just in case I run into a situation where I can’t find something to eat.
5. Vacations are a time to relax: Do what makes you happy, take some time for yourself and allow yourself to sleep that extra hour that you have been needing. What are your GF travel tips? Do you have any places that you have traveled that were G-free friendly?